How Have I Never Read Nicole McLaughlin?!

Only With You is the first book I've read by Nichole McLaughlin, and I'm wondering how it's possible I've missed her until now! A great big "thank you" to St. Martin's Press and Macmillan Publishing for inviting me to read and review this book and introducing me to this fabulous author!!

First of all, I would be remiss in not stating that there are potential triggers in this book. In an effort to avoid spoilers, let me just say that this book touches on (no details) some of the unspeakable acts adults perpetrate upon children, so if that's an issue for you, you may want to try one of the other books in the Man Enough series.

That said, I thought this book was phenomenal! McLaughlin has the skill and voice of a seasoned writer, easily bringing the story alive and drawing me in. The heroine was the type of quirky, larger-than-life, a little insecure and a lot loveable character that I always enjoy, and the hero was a tough, stoic alpha with a big heart and a bit of damage that made me easily fall for him.

Blurb:

The men in Nicole McLaughlin’s Man Enough series are tough Alphas devoted to serving their country and the women who love them.
National Guardsman Aiden King has been attracted to Hannah Walters for a while, but he never made a move because of her close relationship with his best friend. But when circumstances change, Aiden is surprised when his friend gives his blessing. Problem is, there’s a reason he’s still alone after all these years, and as much as he wants her, that secret keeps him from acting on his desires.
Hannah has finally decided to wait for the kind of love you read about in books and see in movies. After her failed engagement, Aiden’s unassuming support has become a touchstone for Hannah. It soon becomes apparent that he may be exactly the kind of man she’s been looking for. But the closer they become, the more he keeps her at arm’s length.
When Aiden suggests a road trip to take Hannah’s mind off her troubles, the two of them go on a journey neither one expected. She just hopes that the final destination is them together for good.
My Review:
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
The early copy I read of this book was my first by this author, and it was an amazing read!  I have St. Martin's Press and Macmillan Publishing to thank for inviting me to read and review this one, otherwise I may not have found this terrific author. Ms. McLaughlin captivated me with her refreshing, unique, larger-than-life characters and immersed me smack in the center of their story with ease. All I had to do was sit back and enjoy the ride.

It started innocently enough, with Hannah and Aiden being friends of friends who become friendly with each other. Aiden is in a group of National Guardsmen who make their Guard duty weekends into somewhat of a social event with good food, significant others and their friends. Hanna and Guardsman Jase have been friends since childhood, but things have gotten a little awkward since Jase started dating Hannah's twin, Becca. Somehow, Aiden becomes a friend to Hannah and an ear for her. And boy, does he get an earful. Frequently. But that’s a part of Hannah's personality that really made her shine and endeared her to me, her slight insecurities and her non-stop chattering. That, and the fact that she needs to be talked down from her estate sale addiction.

Aiden is big, tough, quiet and hard to read, never sharing anything personal and never using more than one word when one will do. He's kind of had a thing for Hannah for a while, but he's not sure where she stands on the Jase/Becca thing. Additionally, he believes he really has nothing to offer a woman. Holy wow, this is one of my favorite kinds of heroes! Lots of buried pain, long-term damage that needs healing, and one who doesn’t see himself for the amazing man he is. There were certainly bumps and potholes along the way, and it took a lot of effort, trust and vulnerability, but Aiden figured things out, and it was glorious! 

I loved everything about this book! The quaint, small-town settings, the complex, endearing secondary characters, the slow-burn romance, the storyline that flowed perfectly and the heartfelt, poignant, inspiring message. All of the men in the Man Enough series have won me over, and I can't wait to read more!  These books all stand alone, so you can start with Aiden and Hannpah's story and catch up with the rest.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Get your copy of Only With You from Amazon here, available now for preorder and releases on June 5th. For other buy links and author information, click here, and check out her Amazon page here. I'd love to know what you think of McLaughlin's latest, so feel free to leave a comment. Until next time, dear reader 
Much love between the covers,
BookAddict


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where's My Slingshot When I Need It?

Magnolia Sound, New From Samantha Chase In 2019!